The sports complex was our major long-term project. The cost for an all-weather track, stadium seating and lighting was approximately $3 Million. The project was built with the support of the taxpayers of our district, donations from local individual donors, grants and partnerships with local businesses.
This facility is not only used for track, soccer and football, but also the annual Bears’ Graduation ceremonies. Community organizations such as Relay for Life also stage events in this venue. The new stadium grand opening was on October 16, 2014.
In July 2010 the Foundation contributed $40,000 to the new seating in the Summerville High School theater. The total cost for this venture was $145,000 for 324 padded theater seats that fold away on telescoping risers.
Other Projects Completed
-Regulation Tennis Courts
-Girls Softball Field
Other programs that have benefited from Foundation BEAR GRANTS include:
The Academic Decathlon
All Weather Sports Stadium
The Wrestling Program
The Robotics Program
The SHS Library
The Baseball Program-from memorials for Peppe Larsson and Family.
Mock Trial Team
Orange Crush Band
Too many others to mention here!!
Mock Trail Students get a
Bear Grant "Big Check" !!
Recent Bear Grants
*Academic Decathlon Team $1000
*Character Counts Program $550
*English Class $115
*Art Department-Display Boards
*Girls Basketball Team $500
*$2500 The Hamilton Play Project
*$1500 Camera for Art Classes
$2,600 Commercial Ice Machine
* funded by the Artzer/Ronten Memorial funds
* Sober Grad Night-$760
The Climbing Wall
*Drama Classes $300 to attend
Motherlode Drama Festival
* $800 for IPAD apps for the Journalism/Newspaper class to coordinate their publishing/editing skills.
* $3100 for the Mock Trial Team to travel to the Central Valley to compete with other high schools in formal Mock Trial Competition. We partnered with Sonora Area Foundation to find a partner donor to assist with this Bear Grant. Front Porch also donated $1000. These funds were for transportation out of the County to compete.
* $4,500 for improvements to the Boys Baseball Field and various improvements to the fencing, dugout, etc.
* $1,000 for the Academic Decathlon Team to attend various local and California State annual competitions.
* $1500 for Focus 3 Virtual Training-Six Football Coaches
*$2500 for Sound System to aid in the Film Classes
*$600 for the Foreign Language Classes to have updated Breakout Boxes and Chair Storage Covers.
*$1,020 for the Lab Senor Equipment for the Science Department.
*$1,000 for the Academic Decathlon team to compete in the state competition.
*$1,200 for a field trip for students in the AP European History class to visit the San Francisco Legion of Honor Art Museum.
The Grants in 2017 were matched by special donors and the SHS Foundation in collaboration with the Sonora Area Foundation to fund the grants.
We also received a generous donation of $15,000 from Dr. Marsha Speck to resurface the tennis courts.